What to do

This morning I went to feed the bunny. I put my arm in to give him his bowl of food and he launched at me and bit my arm. (Nothing serious, but I could see his teeth marks on the surface.) A second later as I was trying to move junk in his cage he launched at me again with a tiny little groan/growl.

This freaked me out royally!

I have created a literal caged animal. A vicious one.

I feel horrible and creeped out. I keep getting images of a rabid rodent launching and attacking... you know like you see in cheap B horror films.

I don't know what to do. I stopped letting him out of his cage for 2 hours a day like you're supposed to (long ago) because he chews on everything... even the moldings of our house! Not cool. So in saving my property I've spawned a dangerous anti-social animal.

How horrible is that?

Do I just take him to the vet to put him down? I am not interested in rabbit stew and it just snowed so I can't let him loose outside yet.

Advice please.

5 comments:

Katie said...

I'm thinking that a house-trained animal (even one who likes to chew on things) probably wouldn't do well on his own in the 'wild', so I wouldn't just let him out down by the dike. If he's biting, I don't think it's right to give him away, either, and you can't keep him, so I think you probably ought to have him put to sleep at the vet's office. I wish there was a better solution, but I can't think of one. (((hugs)))

Yvonne said...

Oh, gina, I don't know what I would do. I wouldn't be really excited about having him around liam.

Leatha said...

Ugh, I have no advice. Only hugs. I wouldn't know what to do either.

Saedi said...

Ok, I know I probably shouldn't be laughing, but I just can't help it! It's so hard to picture this sweet innocent little bunny, lunging, biting and growling. Are you sure he was growling??? I just can't picture it. But it sure is giving me a good chuckle.

Suzanne said...

Oh Gina, I'm sorry, but I have no advice! That's terrible it bit you. I'm glad that it didn't hurt Liam. Maybe just enjoy it from a distance??? Let us know what you decide!