Low expectations worked in my favor

Happy Birthday to me, Happy Birthday to me...

So in previous years I expected a lot out of my big day. I reminded myself of a 5 year old that counts down the days.

This year I didn't expect anything special. You wanna know why? Because I get a lot of bonus cool stuff throughout the year and I am really grateful. Who cares if I get something special on one certain day of the year? Each one of my friends and loved ones do so much for me quite often, so a birthday doesn't warrant something extra in my new opinion.

So let me tell you what low expectations got me:

Liam let me sleep in until 9am.

Ian took us out to my favorite breakfast joint.

Ian took us to a place called "Jump on It" and we had SO. MUCH. FUN! I mean, SO MUCH FUN!



We went to the farmers market for fresh peaches, asiago bread and shaved ice... then sat in the shade and shared the icy treat with Liam.

While Liam napped, I uploaded awesome photos and started Liam's birthday letter.

While Liam still napped, I went to pick up the sitter. Ian and I went on a date to see The Bourne Ultimatum. (And it was totally everything I thought it would be.)

We got back to a very happy toddler and we took the sitter home.

Liam and I played and there was no whining (him nor me).

Liam went to bed on time.

I made fresh peach cobbler (while Ian went to get ice cream).

Robin called me and we laughed together like old times.

Drew (my brother in law) came over with two scrumptious pizzas from Peir 49.

We three laughed as we watched Duce Bigalow (on TV) and ate pizza and peach cobbler.

Kate called and sang to me just now. (And by the way, my birthday started last night when she took me on an ice cream date. I heart Kate. She is awesome and always makes me feel so good about myself. She's such a smart thing... I love learning from her. She's sexy too - see below photos. I was so excited she had new dating stories to tell me and I totally LOVED hearing about the things she's up to.)




Seriously, the best birthday EVER!

Thank you everyone!

Especially Ian and Liam!

16 comments:

D said...

Sounds like a perfect day! Family time and hubby time all for you. Well and chattin' friend time too- sorry I'm such a slacker - I will just have to continue the birthday wishes and good times for you tomorrow- and next week when we are there. ;) Love you!

Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph said...

Oh my gosh- I want my next birthday to be like yours! Happy Birthday!! The pics & video are GREAT!

Steph

Are We There Yet? said...

Sounds like you had a great day. Happy Birthday Late

that place you went to looks like so much fun. We have nothing like that here

Tori :) said...

And Tori, your lame friend, remembered the day before and the day after. I'm Sorry!!
I'm so glad you had a great day. I'll buy you a milkshake at GNO.

Daisy said...

That place looks so awesome. I wish they had something like that around here.

I'm glad you had such a nice birthday.

Amanda said...

So glad to hear that your day was so great! That jummping place looks like soooooooo much fun!

Klin said...

Happy Birthday. I had written down for remembering, but who knows what happened.

Glad you had a great day and Peach Cobbler. Oh does that bring back memories.

Danell said...

Happy Birthday Gina! Great talking with you! I'm glad your day was so much fun- you deserve it. :) Love ya lots!!!

Yvonne said...

Gina, glad you had such a wonderful day. Loved the Jump It place. I think it's so cute that Liam actually followed you and your husband and jumped onto his bum--what an accomplishment for a little guy.

Terry said...

I am glad your birthday was so awesome! I LOVE your jumping montage. You look like the only ones there...how lucky that it wasn't very crowded when you went. That looks like so much fun. Ian impressed me with his tricks! You managed to get A LOT of great stuff into one day (a day that didn't even begin until 9am... sweet Liam)!

Anissa said...

I'm the lame friend that didn't call on your special day. Eeek. Sorry! But I'm glad it was so perfect for you. I also usually get let down on bday's so I guess the key is to go into it with zero expectations and you might get pleasantly surprised.
Happy belated birthday! You deserved such a wonderful day.

Suzanne said...

Happy Birthday, Gina! I tried calling your cell on Saturday, but just got your voice mail. Hopefully you got my message! It sounds like you had a fantastic day! :)

utmommy said...

Sounds fabulous! I'm so glad you had a good day!

I remember counting days until my baptism for a long time. I think I started counting at like 100 days before I turned 16. I guess I was eager to start dating or something. What a dork!

Terri@SteelMagnolia said...

Happy Birthday girl...

Emily said...

Happy Birthday to you!! Glad it was such a good one. Jump on it looks like fun.

Ashley said...

Happy happy belated birthday. Fun days help me to forget about the turning older part. Jumping around looked like a great way to feel young, my girls would be in heaven...I might just have to look that place up next time we head south. Glad you really enjoyed your day!