It's Rare

So I had an entirely good day today. And it wasn't because of anything in particular. I must have woken on the right side of the bed or some prayers are being answered all of the sudden. I don't know. I am just grateful.

This morning Liam woke a little earlier than usual, but it didn't matter. We snuggled for a bit before Ian said prayers with us and left for work. We then went downstairs and I got him set up with some milk and crackers and I started working.

The second I logged onto the computer, my boss messaged me to call him. I talked to him and he seemed flustered that the day was the same as the one before, fire drill after fire drill. I did the projects he asked me to and he seemed grateful. I didn't even get any breaks this morning but to change a "scheduled" diaper for Liam and then I was back to work. Liam entertained himself so well, didn't whine, made jokes and just plain behaved [like I wish he did every time I had a packed a.m. work schedule].

Anyway, he continued to do well and I continued to stay balanced and my emotions under control. When 11 o'clock came, I turned off my computer and set Liam up with some pennies and a jar (a resurrected favorite). He put all the pennies in the slotted jar lid 3 times while I did the dishes [so we wouldn't come home to a stinky house around 5:30].

I did my usual get-ready-for-the-day routine and actually did my hair today... and my make up! I got Liam's lunch packed and loaded us and all our junk into the car at 11:43am!

I got to work and got caught up with what I had missed in my hour "away." Then my sweet co-worker, Lynette, called me to come over to her desk. I went over and she had a little birthday card for me and instead of buying me a present (because she knows I didn't want her to fuss over me) she got Liam a little magnet toy that he can play with at church. I was so tickled.



Before I left her desk in the reception area, I noticed a painting sitting up against the wall. This photo doesn't do it justice, but it's of the First Vision. There are captions at the bottom, hand painted as well, of the scriptures that go along with each of the three scenes. I was speechless over the spirit it emanated. Matt Chatterley, another co-worker, painted it and had brought it in to show a few people, as he had just finished it. He was in a training class all day, so I emailed him to see how much he was selling it for. I had the perfect place to put it at my house, though I knew it was probably out of my price range.

$2,000

I was so sad that it couldn't be mine. I replied to his email and said it was worth that and more. The feelings it brought out in me (and I am sure many others) were priceless. I would be honored to have art like that in my home. I do hope one day his art will be duplicated in print form so I can buy the copyrighted prints at local galleries for a much lower price.

The rest of the work day I continued to feel peace and satisfaction with myself. I discussed my job with my partner that I've shared an office with for 3 years. We are both continually frustrated with our jobs and it's really hard to take, but it's made us better friends. We truly understand the others feelings when it comes to our workload, the stress accompanied by it and how we cope. I never thought I would feel as connected to another co-worker. She really is a blessing in my life. She is just a mild soul that I love being around.

I picked up Liam and he was a pill the rest of the evening, but I tolerated his high pitched screaming better than usual. I even shared the screaming with some people in my neighborhood as I made reminder calls for the cannery assignments on Saturday. Luckily they understood and weren't in too much pain per my screaming banshee.

After getting Liam bathed and to bed, I checked my email. As I was doing so, there was a knock at the door. My new neighbor Ashley (who moved into Robin's house) was dropping off a Cookie Lee catalog that I had asked for and then nonchalantly asked if I wanted to go to the store with her because we started getting chatty. She probably wasn't serious, but I said, "Yeah, I totally need to go to the store!"

It was fun. It was nice. It was out of the ordinary. I totally hope she invites me to do that or anything else again.

That was my perfect day. I had to document it. It might as well have been my birthday. Who knows what mood I'll be in when I turn 29 on Saturday... Ugh.

12 comments:

Yvonne said...

Those kinds of days are wonderful.

I'm not an artist or a singer and am always amazed how art and music can touch us so deeply. I appreciate so much those who paint and those who can sing.

Hope you have a great birthday.

Katie said...

Do you have any fun plans for your birthday?

I'm so glad you had a great day! You need it!

Tori :) said...

Oooh- that's right. Someone has a birthday tomorrow!! PAR-TAY!! Any plans??

I'm glad it was a good day for you and you're right- that painting is beautiful.

D said...

Hope your b-day is even happier! It's on a Saturday so that's a good start.

Glad you had a good day mentally, socially, spiritually. Those are the best. I need one of those. I'm looking forward to lots of them while we are visiting. :)
Love ya!

Terry said...

I am glad you had a good ordinary day. I turned 29 last month... I agree, Ugh... hey that reminds me I need to fix my age on my profile. :)

Mel said...

I would love to be 29 again!

Hope your weekend continues to be great!

Suzanne said...

It's your birthday tomorrow!?! Wahoo! I'm 29 and it's not too bad, at least for another 6 months, then I'll be ummmm... *cough* 30!

I'm so glad your day went well Gina! Doesn't it just make life better when the day runs more smoothly?

Sorry I haven't been on here Blogging as much! I've been hanging out in our new valley while "D" is in school this week because it's too far to come back in the middle of the day.

Oh, and I tried to send you a text message, but it wouldn't send! :(

Jessica said...

I'm glad that you had a good day. Everyone deserves one once in a while! i love peaceful feelings, even if life isn't perfect. I hope that your day tomorrow is wonderful!! Enjoy your last year in your "20's"!!

David said...

It is already Saturday here...so, Happy Birthday Gina!

I am glad you had a great day. Don't you hate it...all the good paintings are way to expensive for poor people like us!

utmommy said...

Happy Birthday!! I hope you have a great day. I turned 29 this year too. I can't believe this is my last year of my 20's. Crazy.

I hope you have another wonderful day. You totally deserve it!

Amanda said...

Glad to hear it was a good day! Sometimes they are few and far between. I hope you had a fabulous birthday! I'm always late to the party!

Terri@SteelMagnolia said...

Yes, how I wish I could be 29 again... would I ever!!

I'll be ffffffffforty seven next month.. yuk.

I'd do so many things differently.