Book Review: Second Glance

Hi there! I have to document the fact that I read a 400 page book for my book club... my first book for the club, mind you. Granted, my review of the book was much longer and more kind than this one is going to be. Here goes.

Don't read this book. It's slow, boring and simply too long! I seriously would have been content to return this to the library after the 2nd chapter. I felt tortured that I HAD to keep on reading. If a book doesn't hook me in the first two chapters, well folks, it's not worth my time. I was so bugged that I HAD to complete this book because it was my first book assignment since joining the club. So the pressure to read was one thing, but the slow-ness of the book had me finishing the book a week after the review was due. Yeah, it took me over two weeks to read a book! Stupid, right? I seriously asked Ian to read the rest for me so I didn't have to. He declined of course.

Anyway, every book I read I try to walk away with a quote from it that will continue to inspire me. Here is the excerpt that really got me to the core:
"Heroes didn't leap tall buildings or stop bullets with an outstretched hand; they didn't wear boots and capes. They bled, and they bruised, and their superpowers were as simple as listening, or loving. Heroes were ordinary people who knew that even if their own lives were impossibly knotted, they could untangle someone else's. And maybe that one act could lead someone to rescue you right back."

6 comments:

www.stepherz.com said...

I do like the quote too. To me, that is the true definition of a hero. I'm married to this kind of a hero.

Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph said...

I do that sometimes with books, too. The quote thing... I like it!

Join my Photo Tag going on! Hope you’d like to play along and post about the shoes you can't live without!

Steph

OhTheJoys said...

That IS a great quote!

Klin said...

I love the quote and the fact that you read a 400 page book.

To help you see the positive side of your boring book, it could be my research textbook :-( It is incredibly boring.

D said...

I didn't think the book was all that great either. The characters were all really selfish. That is an awesome quote though. Too bad more of the characters didn't live it in the first place. I think the one who did the most was Ross' Sister.

Angel Baby said...

Did I miss something? What's the title of the book?

I love to read and I love long books...